Monday, March 26, 2012

Written a Poem Lately?

My co-writer, Nancy Naigle, and I had the pleasure last week of giving a presentation at the ODU Tri-Cities Center at the VEMA Conference. Lots of librarians were in attendance and we had fun coaxing poetry out of them in our From Timeline by Byline session. Turning nonfiction into poetry was the name of the game and a half dozen district librarians wowed us with their poetic prowess. The others wrote poetry but didn't share them orally.

I enjoyed attending some other sessions, listening to Bill Wellington, a storyteller and folk music singer, hearing a librarian talk about working with students who knit to contribute to society and listening to Sue Kimmel talk about the LUCY multicultural literature list, maintained by an organization at ODU.

The barbecue we ate at lunch was phenomenal and the keynote speaker was Sue Corbett, an author. A lot of raffle gifts were given away and I was lucky enough to win a cookbook, published by the VEMA organization. I can't wait to try some of the recipes. I'm looking forward to the next conference in the fall.

No comments: